This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services
By going out into the community, the library will be providing residents with library cards that can unlock a wealth of online databases, information, and entertainment. By demonstrating our online services, residents can preview databases and services and receive mini-lessons on accessing the valuable online offerings. We hope that this sample will encourage residents to explore themselves, or to come into the library attend instructional classes on accessing information.
By going out into the community, the library will be establishing relationships and bonds with other organizations such as the local elementary and high schools, parent-teacher organizations, civic and cultural groups, and municipalities such as police, fire or parks departments on the city. And by doing so, we encourage the residents to reach out to more than just one group, but many throughout the city, and learn about events and opportunities.
In August 2017, the Hammond Public Library will be changing its Integrated Library System (ILS). This new ILS will be cloud based and will allow staff to use laptops or tablets with internet connection to leave the confines of the library building and circulation desk and go out into the community to reach residents. The library will begin scheduling community visits:
• Schedule visits to city elementary school fall open-house events
• Schedule visits to city high schools during parent-teacher nights
• Attend city-wide events by renting table space and promoting the library to a diverse group of people
• Advertise scheduled visits in the local media outlets
• Post locations, dates and time of sign-up events in the library, in local businesses, and at community organizations where residents may frequent
• Register patrons for new library cards, or update their existing cards
• Review library card benefits
• Demonstrate online access to the library and how to use the digital collections
• Talk about upcoming and future events
Hammond Public Library
Phone: (219) 931-5100
Hours: Monday-Thursday 9am-9pm
Purchases through the Amazon link support the Hammond Public Library.